Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thank God Almighty, Free At Last!

...I imagine the two pardoned journalists thinking to themselves. I had seen Clinton's trip noted in a couple of places yesterday with some hope, but hadn't really read much in detail. The CS Monitor had a nice report this morning, laying out some of the broader issues that would likely come up in the meeting, and I just finished another report from the Guardian confirming in press-spokesmanese that there were indeed a number of issues discussed beyond the successful plea to free Euna Lee and Laura Ling.

I'm very pleased. I don't trust the leadership of that country any further than I can throw it, but as I've discussed here and here, with an uncertain succession looking likely, I'd much rather our diplomatic relationship be warmer than cooler.

No comments: