Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Scream!

This needed to happen. I'm not sure I'd really want to listen to the album all at once, but a New Yorker has compiled an album of 74 favorite recorded screams. I don't recognize some of the pieces included- a hole in my pop culture knowledge that I really ought to remedy. I've always come down with the scream in The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" as my all-time favorite rock-and-roll scream; I was glad to see it listed. My second favorite is from XTC's "No Thugs In Our House" (vid clip below), which isn't mentioned. The article, however, does not list all the selections, so I can still hope it's part of the compilation.

3 comments:

Randal Graves said...

I'm with you in that the first scream that pops in my head is nearly always Daltry's (and possibly Tom Araya's from Slayer) but I'd have to think a bit to compile a list worthy of screaming about.

Dean Wormer said...

Is the Wilhelm Scream in there?

Silver Fox said...

Yeah, I could recognize the Who (and the song) on the little clip, for sure - probably would have been able to even without the foreknowledge I had.