Monday, July 6, 2009

"Murder," He Wrote

The continuing trial of the fundamentalist "parents" who allowed their 15-month old daughter to die rather then overcoming their "faith" is continuing to sicken me:
The Worthingtons, an Oregon City couple who believe in faith healing rather than secular medicine, are charged in Clackamas County Circuit Court with second-degree manslaughter and criminal mistreatment for failing to seek medical care for their daughter.
(...)
The child died on March 2, 2008 after being sick for several days. "She struggled so long she couldn't struggle any more," Leonhardt said. Ava could have been saved, right up to her last hour, with medical treatment, he said.
Ignorance not supposed to be used as an excuse for breaking the law. Yet apparently the Worthington's ignorance, that medicine works better than prayers, is being used as an excuse to try them for manslaughter and mistreatment rather than murder.

1 comment:

Lockwood said...

Yeah... I know. I thought I had tagged this with "rants" to sort of indicate that I didn't mean for it to be taken entirely seriously, but I hadn't. I'll add it in a moment. Nevertheless, this is a terrible crime. If the judge and jury let them off with probation, I'll be furious. Religious beliefs or not, these two deserve some very serious time.