Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Stolen Content is Unethical And Illegal.

ReBecca has dealt with a similar problem before, I think, but someone is copying and pasting her blog posts, not into, but as another blog. I find this rather reprehensible and, well, unethical and illegal. So I went and found it here, and helpfully posted the title above as a comment in 7 or 8 posts. Yes, you do have to enter a "name" and an email, and I doubt my comments will get through moderation. In addition, as I worked out a routine for doing the task rapidly, I got the message, "You are commenting too fast. Slow down."

Maybe not the most effective approach, but I invite you to spend a few minutes commenting on the blog yourself.

8 comments:

SkinnyDennis said...

Left a nastygram on the loungelizard's site. Doubt if it'll go thru...

Lockwood said...

SD- I checked, and mine hadn't gone through moderation, yet, at least. But in my wordpress accounts, each comment gets delivered as an email, so I'm kind of hoping the spam factor will be irritating to the thief.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

If she is being credited as the author, which it looks like she is, then technically it's not stealing. If that person passed off your friend's work as their own, then that would be stealing.

Silver Fox said...

ReBecca is not being credited as the author, there is no post by whoever runs the blog saying anything about themselves or their blog or why they are doing it.

It's taken word for word from her original posting, so when ReBecca has put a copyright notice at the bottom of her post with her name, that same copyright is copied by the leech blog or splog (that's what they are called).

Silver Fox said...

It's also not correct wrt copyright law to take an entire piece of writing, even if credited, without getting permission from the author. Without permission, one can only quote small sections or sentences, and only for certain types of purposes. That's called fair use. The splog isn't following fair use guidelines at all. ReBecca could issue a take-down order.

Lockwood said...

Thanks for the clarification, SF. I don't know anything about copyright law, beyond a bit regarding what constitutes fair use in the context of teaching. Fair use makes a distinction between not-for-profit, personal, and for-profit use, but I seem to remember that, as you said, use of the complete work in any context is verboten.

Silver Fox said...

I can't access the site, maybe it's been taken down.

Lockwood said...

No, I'm not finding it either. At least at that link. Thanks for the update.