Saturday, November 21, 2009

Yep.

I haven't felt inspired to say anything about the revelation that some of the accused 9/11 conspirators will face trial in NEW YORK CITY!!!??? (Get a rope!) Basically, if I tried to react thoughtfully to every issue that had caused the latest right wing cranial cataclysm, I would have time to do nothing else. So unless I'm interested, or feel that there is a valid, debatable concern, there are plenty of issues on this blogger's radar that are ultimately ignored.

However, McClatchy published this comic today, and it amused me:
I think part of the amusement is the bald truth herein; the US, for a "civilized" and "advanced" nation, puts a stunning number of convicts to death. It also imprisons, per capita (and perhaps in absolute numbers; I don't know), more people than any other country in the world.

Another part of the amusement is from the ambiguity... does this imply that the trials are merely for show? Or that other countries will think less of us when and if the conspirators are found guilty, the death penalty is applied and carried out? Or that we ourselves should be reluctant to apply the death penalty in this case?

With respect to the last question, I have discussed my attitude toward the death penalty at least a couple of times: in short, I'm dubious. But if there have ever been cases in which it was deserved in the US, those involved with the planning and execution of the events of 9/11 are at the top of the list. That said, yes, we should always be "reluctant" to impose state-sanctioned killing. I make myself do things I'm "reluctant" to do regularly. As does every other mature human being.

No comments: