Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Awful Library Books

Truly bad... the main problem with most is that they are eons out of date; here's an example:
Ultimate Collection of Computer Facts and Fun
Tison & Woodside
1991
The computer I had in 1991, an Atari 1040 ST, was the one I did all of my master's work on: around two thousand pages of writing, projects, lessons plans, and on and on. It had a jaw-dropping one whole megabyte of RAM- and I don't mean that facetiously; it really was an amazing number to me. This computer has 768 times that, and a 30 Gb hard drive- the latter being something my old Atari was not blessed with. So perhaps a more accurate title would be "Ultimate Collection of Obsolete Computer Facts and Fun From When Your Parents Were Your Age." Clunky title, but accurate.

Here's another comically bad example:
My Cat’s in Love or, How to Survive Your Feline’s Sex life, Pregnancy and Kittening
Manolson
1970
So if your summer reading list is getting short, this is the site to visit for examples of things you don't want to bother even looking at. (Via)

1 comment:

Randal Graves said...

Great, cheesy cover art on a lot of those books. Shudder.

Oh man, the first computer we ever had was back in the early/mid 80s when I was a kid, some Texas Instruments model. The expansion was something around 16k and it used tapes instead of floppies.