Monday, January 5, 2015

Geo 1095: January 5, Day 735: Upper North Silver Falls

I've been to Silver Falls, Oregon's largest State Park several times since I started blogging and acquired a digital camera. I've posted a few photos from there, but not in the context of this series. Time to remedy that. This is Upper North Falls, which may lead you to infer (correctly) that there is also a Lower North Falls. It might not lead you to infer there is also a Middle North Falls. The latter is, by a long shot, my favorite geological exposure in the park. However, this one is less showy, and less visited, and gives a better sense of solitude and intimacy. I'll get deeper into the geologic setting later, but the bedrock we see here is Columbia River Basalt, in the Grande Ronde Group (PDF).

Photo unmodified. March 10, 2012. FlashEarth Location (approximate).

No comments: