Sunday, November 8, 2009

Science and Technology 75 Years Ago

As the late August, 1924, Mars-Earth closest approach neared, the Navy requested its radio crews to monitor the airwaves carefully. Astronomers had informed them of the possibility that Martians might use the time for an attempt at communication. The Daily What.
From BuzzFeed. Robocop three quarters of a century ago.

No generation can imagine what will happen in their own lives, let alone those of subsequent generations. The following is the least bad cover I could find of John Prine's song "Living in the Future." (I found three, and they were all kind of painful)
We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know:
I read it in a newspaper 15 years ago.
We're all driving rocket ships and talking with our minds,
wearing turquoise jewelry and standing in soup lines.

And by way of apology for a poorly tuned guitar, a weak voice, and at least two instances of poor lyric memory, here is the master himself showing you how to (...well, almost) do it right, with a very sweet and funny song. The happy enchilada song. HA!

("That's the Way the World Goes 'Round") I'm not much of one for poetry... I just get lost (my fail, not that of poets). But "naked as the eyes of a clown" has always been an amazing line to me. Could anything be more naked?

No comments: