Friday, October 9, 2009

The Obamas Meet the Osbournes

Well, actually, it's the Spanish First Family. No particular reason for this, but it came to my attention that many of my friends here at the coffee shop haven't seen this picture. It was released a couple of weeks ago to lots of posting at the pop-culture sites like BuzzFeed and BoingBoing. I first saw it at BuzzFeed, I think, but I'm not going to track the post down.

Speaking of Obama, most of the people I've talked to this morning are a little bemused that he won the Nobel Peace Prize. I haven't read any reports or commentary on the issue yet, but I'm hearing from those who listen to NPR that outside the US, this award has strong support. Again, without knowing the particulars, I'm not sure he's actually done anything yet to deserve it. It looks to me like "the soft bigotry of low expectations." As if he's getting the prize simply for not being an ignorant, disinterested, egotistical warmonger.

2 comments:

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

I saw a story on tv about the state department removing this picture from their website because the president of Spain wants his daughters anonymity protected. They mentioned how now the picture was all over the internet...I guess it still is ;)

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.