Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Geo 365: March 12, Day 71: China Hat and Pine Mountain

Approaching Fort Rock State Park (which is out of view, just to the left), we stopped to admire the horizon to the north for a moment. The middle-left peak (left-most) is China Hat, which I think is a cinder cone, though I'm not really sure, just guessing from its shape. The next peak to the right is Pine Mountain, a rhyolite dome complex, and home to an astronomical observatory, I think run by the University of Oregon. It's another one of those spots I've never been to, but would like to visit eventually. I'm not sure what the low peak on the middle right is, but that's starting to get into the neighborhood of the Devil's Garden, a field of younger basalt flows, so it may be associated with that feature.

Photo unmodified. August 20, 2011. FlashEarth Location.

No comments: