- According to USA Today, "Federal funding for oil spill research was cut in half between 1993 and 2008, falling to just $7.7 million in fiscal year 2008, data from the Congressional Research Service show."
- Tony Hayward's annual salary: £3,158,000.00 (~$4,682,000).
- Date brown pelicans were delisted as endangered "due to recovery:" November, 2009.
- Number of pelicans killed by a 15-barrel (630-gallon) oil spill near Plaquemines Parish in 2005: 400.
- Number of pelicans oiled in that spill: 1000.
- Amount BP claimed was leaking as of April 23, after the sinking of the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform: Zero
- Amount estimated to be leaking as of Tuesday, April 27: 1000 barrels per day (bbl/d).
- Amount estimated to be leaking as of Wednesday, April 28: 5000 bbl/d.
- Amount estimated to be leaking based on video of flow from the wellhead and broken riser, by non-BP employee and mechanical engineer Steve Wereley as of Wednesday, May 19: 95,000 bbl/d, +/- 20%
- Amount of oil estimated to be escaping from the leaky well, per day, as of today: "The team said the most likely flow rate of oil today ranges from 35,000 to 60,000 barrels per day."
- Tony Hayward's assessment of the environmental impact of the Deepwater Horizon Spill: " "The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume." (May 14) "I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to be very, very modest," (May 18) "There's no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."(May 31)
Is This Your Hat?
2 years ago