Thursday, June 17, 2010

Blind Faith


by Steve Winwood

Following the shadows of the skies,
Or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to when the race is run.
Waiting in our boats to set sail.
Sea of joy.

Once the door swings open into space,
And I'm already waiting in disguise.
Is it just a thorn between my eyes?
Waiting in our boats to set sail.
Sea of joy.

Having trouble coming through,
Through this concrete blocks my view
And it's all because of you.

Oh, is it just a thorn between my eyes?
Waiting in our boats to set sail.
Sea of joy.

Sea of joy.
Sea of joy.
Sailing free.
Sea of joy.

Relevant how? According to NYT,
One of the deepest offshore oil fields in the Gulf of Mexico lies beneath 7,000 feet of water and under more than 20,000 feet of rock and sand. Estimated to hold as much as 100 million barrels of crude, the field was discovered by Chevron in 2001, and production began in 2008. It is less than 20 miles west of the unstoppable Deepwater Horizon blowout.

The name of the field, and the rig anchored above it, is Blind Faith.

It’s a curious choice for a high-tech drilling operation pushing the boundaries of modern engineering, perhaps a bit like NASA naming a new shuttle “Dumb Luck.”

Followup: Just what I expected from Hayward: "I know NOTHING!"Wikipedia: "Schultz is a basically good-hearted man who, when confronted by evidence of the prisoners' covert activities, will simply look the other way, repeating "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!" (or, more commonly as the series went on, simply "I know nothing–NOTHING!") to avoid being blamed for allowing things to have gotten as far as they already had-which might see him given a one-way trip to the Eastern Front." But I'm not going to give "I want my life back" Hayward credit for being a "basically good-hearted man."

No comments: