Monday, January 26, 2009

It Was 309 Years Ago Today

Almost missed this... chatting with fellow coffee-drinkers, reading LOL cats and news and so on. All the image work for the apophyllite post took longer than I expected, too. So I was just skimming over news from my RSS folder, "Oregon News and Blogs," and what should pop up but this little bit of trivia:
Scientific research in Oregon, Washington and Japan tells us that at 9 p.m. on Jan. 26, 1700 AD, a magnitude 9.0 earthquake, centered about 75 miles offshore, ruptured along a 600 mile long fault...
Via KATU, a press release from DOGAMI (Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries). So the actual moment of the anniversary will be about 2 hours from now.

1 comment:

Dean Wormer said...

I think about something similar with volcanoes as I stare at Mt. Hood. Isn't that due for an eruption?