Sunday, April 27, 2014

Geo 730: April 27, Day 483: Columnar Fountains

Columnar basalt, being abundant and readily available in Oregon, and due to it's geometry, pleasing and interesting to the human eye, is frequently used in landscaping around here. I think this was a new one to me, though: holes were bored through the center of two of the columns to create a pair of fountains. A third one, naturally fractured with a cup-like joint, has accumulated a small pool. To me, there's something very refreshing about this.

I have no idea why we stopped here; we had just had an excellent lunch in Depoe Bay. My mouth still waters recalling that shrimp melt sandwich, which was both more tasty and more filling than I had hoped. But I suspect we stopped to get drinks. I opened FlashEarth a little while ago, with no expectation I would be able to pinpoint the location. I found several likely suspects, but no good way to nail the correct one down. Then I thought to look over the four photos from this location to look for constraining landmarks. The first thing to jump out at me was "Burger King." Quick Google search for "Burger King Lincoln City Oregon," and bang, there it is.

Photo unmodified. July 10, 2012. FlashEarth location.

No comments: