Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Geo 365: July 16, Day 197: Devils Punchbowl

Looking down into Devils Punchbowl, a collapsed sea cave at the park of the same name. Numerous small faults cut through the Astoria formation in this area, and I assume two or more intersected to create this zone of weakness and susceptibility to erosion. During especially low tides, one can access this cave from the north cove. I've been into it a few times, but the first was sight-seeing, and I wasn't paying very close attention to the rocks.The others I was shepherding middle schoolers, not paying much attention to rocks. So I need to get back into it at some point and see if I can actually spot the faults. But I know the next target for Dana and I in this area is the ring dikes in the opposite direction.

Photo unmodified. July 2, 2013. FlashEarth location.

No comments: