Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thorsday

I've been sliding on some of my regular posts, no excuses, but basically I've had other stuff I'd rather do. However, this just happened a couple of minutes ago and it's too excellent not to share.

I decided I probably didn't have enough tobacco to get through until they open at 10 AM tomorrow, so I walked next door to Bad Habits, the local smoke shop. There were a number of customers just getting ready to leave, and as they headed toward the door, one called out, "Bye, Owen... I mean Odin." After asking for my preferred rolling tobacco, I asked "Odin?" and the clerk gave me a big grin and said, "Yeah."

Me: That's excellent!

Odin: (grins)

Me: You know, today is Thorsday.

Odin: That's my brother.

Me: (Pause) Your brother's name is Thor?

Odin: Yup!

Me: Oh, that is just too cool.

Odin: Thor just had a daughter, and they named her Loki.

Me: (Pause) Now that's cruel.

New customer: Your brother named his daughter after the Norse god of mischief? Isn't that just asking for trouble?

I love living in a well-educated community, where the next random customer can seamlessly join a conversation with a correct connection, and a hilariously appropriate observation. So there's Thorsday taken care for this week.

No comments: