Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The War On Christmas

This topic is, for the most part, one that strikes me as inconsequential and frankly, annoyingly distracting. Celebrate Christmas- or whatever holiday(s)- in the manner that works for you and yours, and let others do the same. However, this post by "Dr. Science" at Obsidian Wings struck me as both amusing and interesting:
I recall being taught that one reason Washington attacked on Christmas was specifically because (English) American colonists didn't celebrate the holiday. The German Hessian mercenaries did, though, and so would be hung over and vulnerable when Washington and his army made their surprise attack. In other words, at the time of the Revolution Christmas was unAmerican.
There is also some discussion of how our so-called "religious" holidays at this time of year are for the most part usurpations of previously-existing pagan holidays around the solstice, with their symbologies and traditions left largely intact, but with a new narrative superposed.

So again, axial tilt is the reason for the season, but whatever it is you care to celebrate during these shortest days of the year, it's all good as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy the season and the longer days to come.

2 comments:

Mule Breath said...

The fabricated "War on Christmas" has fascinated me since I first hear the term. The concept is fabricated by those on the religious right who realize their arguments are so thin as to need fabricated defenses.

Reading that Washington considered the cultural mores of the time to make the decision for his attack is new to me. I'll have to do some studying the verify, but if this is correct I will have more a bit more ammo in my pocket the next time I find myself in a confrontation with a zealot.

Brady Bonk said...

Here is my essential post on the subject, including some of the history you're talking about:

http://ketchupisavegetable.com/?p=3155