Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Soon. Very Soon.

I'm approaching cognitive saturation for the day, and once I leave for home, I'm disconnected from the rest of the world.  No internet, and I refuse to turn on the tube. But sometime in the next hour or so, the first of the trapped Chilean miners is expected to return to the surface. The duration of the rescue phase of the operation is expected to be one to two days. The Guardian has posted a continuously updated news page, with notes added as events unfold.  There is also a live video feed. I'd like to express my admiration and good wishes for these folks, and offer gratitude to those who have worked so hard to pull off this miracle.  The only thing I can think of that rivals this for knuckle-biting suspense was Apollo 13, and I was too young to really empathize with that situation.

Followup: Almost forgot this- a nice graphic explaining the logistics and engineering of the extraction at NYT.

No comments: