Thursday, June 3, 2010

We Don't Need No... Oh, Yes, You Do!

The Guardian has posted a list of science blogs it likes, and has issued a request for others. Guess which discipline is, as best I can tell, completely unrepresented? So herewith, I will compile a list of some of my favorite geoblogs, notably missing in The Guardian's list, in preparation for dumping them into the comments:

Allgeo feed:

4.5 Billion Years of Wonder:

Accidental Remediation:

Active Margin:

Adventures in the World of Geology:

Ancient Shore:


Clastic Detritus

Cryology and Company

Dave's Landslide Blog

DinoChick Blogs


Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD)


Geologic Frothings

Geology Happens

Geology Rocks


Good Schist

Highly Allochthonous

Hindered Settling


In Terra Veritas

Looking For Detatchment

Lounge of the Lab Lemming

Magma Cum Laude

NASA Earth Observatory

The Failed Rift

Mountain Beltway

Oakland Geology


Pathological Geomorphology

Rapid Uplift

Riparian Rap

Ron Schott's Geology Home Companion

Ron Schott's Shared Items


Strange Maps

The Accretionary Wedge

The Ethical Paleontologist

The Happy Scientist

The Lost Geologist

The Musings of a Life-Long Scholar

The Volcanism Blog

Watershed Hydrogeology

Wooster Geologists

Yeehow Central

The answer to your question is yes, I do read pretty much everything that gets posted in that list, pretty much every day. That constitutes maybe 15-20% of the number of items I skim over each day, but most items I just glance at the headline, and maybe the first couple of sentences. The blogs above I generally read carefully. Of course, they're dealing with a topic that's important and interesting to me; your mileage may vary.


LockwoodDeWitt LockwoodDeWitt

4 Jun 2010, 12:05AM

I see someone else pointed out Eruptions; the other great volcano blog is Vulcanism Blog. It strikes me that geology is badly unrepresented in most of the selections and suggestions, though, so I put together a list of the Geoblogs and Feeds I follow on a daily basis... it's a long list, but there are a great number of dedicated geobloggers.

1 comment:

Silver Fox said...

I just tweeted your post to @guardianscience, who was requesting lists of science blogs.