Tuesday, September 29, 2009

OSU = Rainy Season

OSU classes started yesterday. The students have been trickling in for a couple of weeks, but the hustle and bustle of people scurrying around to and from classes always startles me. After 3 1/2 months of relative peace and quiet, it seems to have vanished all too suddenly.

It's almost stereotypical then, that the other major change was the weather; we've been having highs in the mid 80's through Sunday; yesterday was cloudy with a high in the mid 60's. Then we had a drenching shower in the afternoon. (Note to folks I heard complaining: "showers" does not necessarily mean "light;" it means intermittent, discontinuous, or sporadic. Showers can be quite heavy. Our "rain," on the other hand, tends to persist for days to weeks, and is most often fairly light.)

I enjoy all the seasons here, but I am least fond of and least tolerant of extremely hot weather, so the showers yesterday afternoon through this morning are very pleasant from my perspective. For those allergic to rain, it looks like next week will be a spectacular Indian summer, clear with highs in the mid to upper 70's. And that's fine by me... it means I'll get to smell my favorite odor of all time: petrichor.

And for those for whom ski season can't come soon enough, the spur for this post: it's snowing in the Cascades!
Gawd, I love the seasons in Oregon!

2 comments:

splord said...

Mmmm... snow.

We don't get that here in the Tropics. Sigh.

splord said...

Also, it's nice to have a name for that scent. I love it, too.