Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Would have been the first sound out of my mouth had I witnessed this: A cat in NYC fell 26 stories. Note the small labels on the right side of the photo below:
I was not particularly intimidated by heights as a youngster, but I had a couple of experiences in my 30's, and one as a field trip leader a few years ago involving a whole bunch of students (with bad results for no one, I should add), that have left me fairly very respectful of them. So respectful, in fact, that I feel like puking whenever I confront the edge of any substantial precipice without a rail between me and it. This would have definitely been a "speaking in chunks," "driving the porcelain bus" kind of moment for me.

So why am I posting it? The kitteh is fine! Some minor injuries, but already home safe. Lucky's owners say they will never open the windows again. Nice, smart, hoomins! Oh and yes, the cat's name really is "Lucky" Via BuzzFeed. There's also another picture and a newsclip video in which the vet explains why the cat survived, but (thankful me) not video of the fall.

Trivia: This tidbit of information, that cats are more likely to survive extreme falls than moderate falls, was established maybe 20 years ago, but few seem to be aware of it. It is counterintuitive from the hoomin point of view.

No comments: