Monday, July 7, 2008

The War of 1812

From "Jesus' General," one of the great satirical sites out there.

My sister and her family live outside of Toronto, and my Mom spends a great deal of her time in a little town called Rosseau, about 3 hours north of Toronto. I'm very fond of Canada. We in the US have an amazing ignorance of our northern neighbor. I'm not going to claim I'm as well informed as I'd like to be, but there's some basic information everyone should know. For example, Canada is our biggest trading partner. I think a lot of people might guess China. Another stat, even more surprising: Canada is our largest foreign source of oil, 76 million barrels per month- nearly double 2nd place Saudi Arabia's 44 million barrels per month. Canada has so much to be proud of: natural beauty that's different from, but rivals, ours; wonderful, kind, intellegent people; a health care system that serves everyone, terrifically friendly cities and so on. So I got a kick out of this video. The fine print at the end says "No Americans were harmed in the filming of this video." If it gets your dander up, go rewatch "The South Park Movie," and pay particular attention to the song "Blame Canada." Consider this to be good-natured payback.

No comments: