Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Walrus and the Phoenix

Couple of good science stories in today's NYT. One is on walruses, the partners in danger with polar bears. I was a little skeptical of this article, expecting to read a portion of it before leaving for something a little more interesting. However, it turned out to be quite engaging at both a scientific and emotional level. I finished it being quite impressed with the animals- the descriptions of their personalities make them sound somewhat like dogs: highly intellegent, sociable and affectionate. Their physical capabilities- sound production, ability to manipulate objects, and learning abilities- were new to me and very impressive. In short, a recommended read.

Another article is on the expected landing this coming Sunday of the Mars probe Phoenix. Two days ago, a couple of websites on this subject comprised my scite of the day. I've seen innumerable stories on this event in many of the science sources that I try to keep up with, but this strikes me as the best overall story I've seen. Of particular interest is that (in contradiction to my comment of the scite linked above), “'It’s extraordinarily unlikely the vehicle will survive,”'said Mr. Goldstein, the project manager. But on the outside chance that spring sunlight recharges the craft next year, he said, it has been programmed with a “Lazarus mode” to signal that it has risen from the dead."

No comments: