Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Primary Participation

So I finally turned in my ballot a couple of hours ago. I tend to put it off until the last minute, and I always feel surprised when I hear that someone turned theirs in a day or two after they received it. We got our ballots about two weeks ago, and the voters guide a week or so before that. But it was only yesterday that I sat down with the guide and my faithful internets and did the Google thing to finally decide how I would vote on the undecideds.

Of particular concern for me was the district 5 representative, a position held for the last 2 or 3 terms by Darlene Hooley. I had written a couple of letters to her regarding Iraq and recieved very supportive responses, so I was happy with her. I got it down to two with the guide, then went to the positions pages of the candidates' websites. The other major contest is for a Democratic opponent against Senator Gordon Smith. Smith is a moderate Republican, and I've been pleased with his growing opposition to the war. Still, he has voted with the Bush appeasement block on most issues, and I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced.

For you Oregonians, there is only an hour and a half to get your ballot turned in. The two closest drop boxes to my favorite coffee shop are at The OSU Valley Library, at the information desk, and the Corvallis Public Library, in the main lobby. According to today's Gazette-Times, 54% of eligible Democrats had cast their ballots as of yesterday; looks like we might be headed for a record primary turnout this year.

No comments: