Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Geo 1095: January 28, Day 758: Off to Oregon Caves!

I never did get around to writing a "reflections" post for this past year, but one item that was on my mind was that, while doing chronologically ordered photos from a single trip (or multiple trips to the same spot) makes it much easier to make each day's choice, it also makes for a certain monotony on my end, and, I worry, also on the reader's end. With that in mind, I'm breaking off from Silver Falls State Park, and skipping off to a rather unusual type of geology in Oregon: carbonate rocks. I'll get back to South Falls some other time.

After a short walk from the parking area (which comes after a long, winding drive up the mountainside from Cave Junction), this is what it looks like when you reach the lodge and headquarters. The cave entrance is hidden behind the trees and their foliage, but the outflow of the cave's "River Styx" cascades into a pool behind the lodge, on the right side. Western US Parks are known for their rustic architecture, but this lodge goes one further, with the bark siding of the building blending in wonderfully with the surrounding forest.

Photo unmodified. May 9, 2013. FlashEarth Location.

2 comments:

SkinnyDennis said...

Monotonous? Never!

Rockdawg said...

It's not boring and I like the way you are doing it.