Thursday, January 15, 2015

Geo 1095: January 15, Day 745: Physical Geology Graffiti

I saw that the Led Zepplin album alluded to in the title is being remastered for its 40th(!?) anniversary, so a shout-out is due.

Between the graffiti, lichens, and irregular jointing, I have a difficult time being certain I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing in this layer of sediment at the back of the cove at North Falls. It looks as if the cross bedding indicates bi-directional flow: sometimes right-to-left, others, left-to-right. This might indicate an intertidal environment, though the layers look a little too thick for individual tidal events. Alternatively, it might indicate migrating channels, with overflow deposits coming from different directions at different times. However, as with much in this blog, I'm just guessing from a decent, but limited, knowledge and experience base. Any feedback or further insights would be appreciated. Also (and I know the people who need to see this won't), please don't deface things in parks... you have no idea how much they might mean to others. This one *really* pissed me off.

Photo unmodified. August 30, 2012. FlashEarth Location (approximate).

No comments: