Monday, December 8, 2014

Geo 730: December 7, Day 706: White River Lahar

Yeah, Mount Hood is in there, too, but Day-um! This was, by a long shot, the most exciting moment of the day for me. The bank shown in the previous post is visible on the far right, and there are some sparse trees below it, which is why I think that bank is unrelated to this particular flow. But to the left of those lower trees... nothing but volcanic rubble. There's not much in the way of reliable scale, but the tops of a couple campers are just sticking up over the berm to the left in the mid-distance. I have seen countless lahar deposits in various settings, but I don't think I've ever seen one this young and fresh. The devastation is stunning. I'll mention the berm at the river bend in the distance in passing, but I have a better shot coming up soon.

Photo unmodified. October 10, 2012. FlashEarth Location.

No comments: