Saturday, May 24, 2014

Geo 730: May 24, Day 510: "Bandon, We Have A Problem" I

In the parking area near Bandon's south jetty stands an interpretive sign similar to dozens scattered along Oregon's coast. The only substantial variation between them is the placement of the "You Are Here" flag. As I've mentioned before, one might guess, with the heavy coverage of these signs in low-lying areas near the coast, that some sense and restraint might be shown with respect to development- particularly of housing- in these areas. And, as I've mentioned before, one would be disappointed...

Photo unmodified. March 9, 2012. FlashEarth location.

2 comments:

Lyle said...

I suppose its no different than folk who buy houses on the outer banks of North Carolina. The location trumps in their mind the risk. (All be it in NC the risk is to property as one has time to evacuate). It seems some folks like to gamble on risks.

SkinnyDennis said...

A good friend lives in Bandon on the bluff above the harbor. Occasionally the tsunami siren lights off if there's a heavy enough quake near the Mendocino Triple Junction. My friend tells me there's much racing thru low lying streets, lowlanders heading for high ground. And I've been on the jetty, and seen the beachfront housing nearby, what are those people thinking?