Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Geo 730: March 5, Day 429: The Process of Geology

One last shot of the platy jointing on Doherty grade- there will be a few more shots of hand samples, most with another feature of interest, but this is the last of the outcrop scale examples. The reason I've spent so much time on this is simple: the things that particularly capture my attention are things that are rare, or inexplicable- to me, at least. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a good explanation for how this structure forms, but I don't know what it is. And when I try to think through how it might, given what I know, I keep reverting to columnar joints. These definitely aren't those. I find a real pleasure in coming up with a plausible and defensible solution to a geologic problem, but the unsolved ones provide a perverse satisfaction too, in the process, once more, of simply trying to find a satisfying explanation. Even if unsuccessful, that process, for me, is its own reward.

Photo unmodified. August 19, 2011. FlashEarth Location.

No comments: