Thursday, February 26, 2009

Do Not Want!

This is supposed to be a sound that only people 25 and under can hear, but I hear it just fine, thanks. I do not like loud music (love music, I just keep it low), and noise really sets me on edge, so it's no surprise to me that my higher frequency sensitivity is better than most others of my age. This is an interesting sound in that there is a very high component along with a sort of mid-range drone. Combined, it sounds like an odd electric hum.

I noticed the other day that the hum that has been bothering me off and on for nearly a year was coming from the transformer/adapter for my MP3 player. I have a very hard time finding the source of these noises, but they drive me crazy; most electronic devices seem to generate some kind of quiet, high pitched hum to me; sometimes I get used to it. Other times (as with the adapter), it gets more and more irritating over time.

I had heard about this noise being used as a deterrent for keeping teens and youngsters from loitering in some places. I can tell you with certainty that it would keep me from spending any time there either, although the linked article definitely overstates its obnoxiousness (at least to my sensibility). I can imagine that it would get more and more irritating over time.

It's also kind of fun to be identified as "young people."
Train Horn
Created by Train Horn

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Huzzah, I am still young. I notice the same problem with most electronics. The worst was when I was in high school and my parents got these little sonic emitters to drive away mice, I ended up constantly unplugging the one in my room (and plugging it back in when I left for school). I also have problems with some analog watches. I imagine the clerks think I am crazy when I start listening to several watches before I decide to buy one.