Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Interzone People: Celina

Celina is another of the many folks who hang out here that used to be a barrista. I worked in a restaurant for a while... I make it a point to never patronize the place. I think the fact that so many ex-employees spend so much time here says a lot about the nature and atmosphere of my favorite coffee shop. This photo was taken just after several hours getting her first tattoo; she was not feeling her best, and her right shoulder blade was a little weepy. I thought she pulled off a nice smile, under the circumstances. I had a chance to see the final result yesterday. It's a gorgeous arrangement of roses around the corner of her shoulder, framing a large peony closer to the middle of her shoulder blade.

Celina is currently a grad student in archeology. I don't know the details of her work, but I know it involves central Oregon Native Americans. Last summer she was doing field work in and around the Warm Springs Indian Reservation, basically identifying and mapping archeological resources, but I don't know that those data will be the basis of her thesis. She had a pretty stressful fall term... the learning curve involved in moving from a BS to an MS is startling to everyone who makes that choice, but she seemed to get the hang of it over the last 6 months... or at least, not to be stressing over it as much.

She has an absoutely beautiful puppy, Newton, seen in a not-terribly-good photo below. Newton is the goggie whose face is pictured. He's grown even more in the month since I took this picture. I enjoy pointing out that "Newton" and "newton" are apparently both units of force. The other dog is Pilgrim, who made a guest appearance in Rawley's "Interzone People" post.

No comments: