Saturday, June 27, 2009

Honesty in Advertising

You can expect it from Uranus.

Another fine product from Uranus:

From the 1974 film "The Groove Tube." I remember this as being one of the funniest films I saw as a high schooler, but I couldn't remember its name. I did remember Brown 25, though, and through the power vested in me by Google, I hereby present a small taste of the culture in which I matured. Or not.

Does anyone else remember this film? Is it still out there in the "cult" section somewhere? DVD? Online? I'd love to watch it again, 35 years later, and see if the whole thing holds up as well as these clips.

2 comments:

jrepka said...

ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod! That was by far the funniest movie I ever saw, as a teenager, until the next year when Monty Python and the Holy Grail came out...

I believe it was the first credit for both Chevy Chase and Richard Belzer.

Don't know about the DVD, I expect that it's available somewhere. I'm going to guess that it holds up much better than the later rip-offs like Kentucky Fried Movie but not as well as the Monty Python flicks though.

The commercial send-ups were the best -- the Uranus Corporation, Geritan, the VD announcement, and Koko the Clown (which made me think of the Michael O'Donaghue bits on SNL)...

Lockwood said...

jrepka- The two clips above were my clearest memories of the film, but the VD commercial was another bit that really stuck in my mind. I had forgotten Chevy Chase was in it, as well as Belzer. I only saw it once, probably in '74 or '75, but the fact that some of the gags have stuck in my head all these years says a lot about the quality of the humor.