Friday, March 6, 2009

Wulfshead

A little while ago I received an invitation to post at the Wulfshead. I accepted. It was (and is) a strange feeling... I've sort of kicked things around here at my little Office of Naval Contemplation to the point that it feels like home. Now I'm invited into someone else's space. But my manners and social habits are shaped by the conventions I've set for myself here. Will I fit? Social anxiety sucks, but I refuse to allow it to stop me from accepting a flattering compliment. It does look like a fun spot, and I look forward to spending some time there.

At any rate, here's the video I posted there as an introduction:
I saw this video on MTV, back when the "M" actually still meant "Music, Maybe," rather than "Meandering Mess of Meaninglessness." I happened to record the video, and watched it a number of times. Then I went and bought the album (Sneaker Pimps, Becoming X) on the strength of this one song. I wasn't disappointed. I have done this a number of times- another example that comes to mind is Massive Attack, Mezzanine on the strength of "Teardrop." That one was odd, because "Teardrop" is like nothing else on the album. I described the rest of the music as "industrial vampire music." But I loved the one song, so I kept listening to the album, and it grew on me; I love every bit of that album now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have not heard Massive Attack in years! This really was great - thanks!

Tengrain