Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Geo 1095: February 9, Day 770: Faulty Wall?

I think what we're seeing here is a pair of faults, or possibly a brecciated fault zone, but I'm not positive about that. The fact we're seeing flowstone and draperies originating along the top fracture, but not elsewhere, suggests that the middle block is not permeable. The guide on this tour pointed out several faults, and I know I spotted a few others, but I'm uncertain as to why I took this particular photo. This whole region is tectonically terribly chewed up- faults are everywhere! And as we'll see a few posts on, there's some very strong evidence that the area has seen continued activity in the relatively recent past.

Photo unmodified. May 9, 2013. FlashEarth Location. (Since we're underground, I have only a vague idea where this is with respect to the surface.)

No comments: