Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Geo 730: July 1, Day 547: Moving Along

After leaving Bushnell Rock and the conglomerate behind us, we finished our drive into Roseburg on Route 42, got on I-5, traveled north a bit, then got off onto the Garden Valley Road to do a side loop and look at some very odd folds in the Flournoy Formation. I posted a couple of panoramas from this area from my visit to it with Chris Rowan last year in the Geo 365 series, on July 6 and July 13, but this was my first visit to this spot in about 20 years. I was introduced to the concept of mass transport deposits back in December. While this was conjecturally described as a possible olistostrome by one field trip leader, I wonder if this might be another example of a mass transport deposit, one with quite a bit of deformation but not outright disruption.

Photo unmodified. March 9, 2012. FlashEarth location.

No comments: