Sunday, June 15, 2014

Geo 730: June 15, Day 531: Captivated by Coal

While Dana examined the coal fragment of the last couple days, I walked around to get a photo of her and the boulder. Once again, I was struck by how coarse-grained it was. It's also very poorly sorted, so it's not easy to get a sense of where the bedding planes were, but I'd be willing to bet that the long axis of the chunk of coal was laying flat upon it, and there does seem to be a suggestion of bedding roughly parallel to the shadows from the brush to the right.

By the way, I'm getting caught up from a day mostly off the web yesterday, and I'm not even going to try to get The Sunday Funnies up. I'll either do them tomorrow, or have a Double-Stuff Edition next Sunday. 

Photo unmodified. March 9, 2012. FlashEarth location. (This is probably accurate to within 10-20 miles. Sorry, no clue.)

No comments: