Saturday, January 18, 2014

Geo 730: Jan. 18, Day 383: Serpentine and ?

A couple of hand samples from the Patrick Creek site. On the lower right is some nice sheared serpentine (Coating less sheared, serpentinized ultramafic rock, though that's not apparent from the photo alone). On the upper left, a rock that I was quite uncertain about- it was from a loose block on the creek bank, and may have been transported there to armor that bank. It's much finer-grained than I expect the unaltered harzburgite to look. The scribble below the "?" says "Pat Ck," for Patrick Creek, and illustrates why I nearly always have a black Sharpie in my pocket. A couple little flakes of serpentine can be seen to the right of the piece I collected, mashed into the road surface.

Photo unmodified. May 8, 2013. FlashEarth Location. Indexed

No comments: