Monday, April 22, 2013

Geo 365: April 22, Day 112: Hand and Foot

Mussels along the top and right, barnacles on the left, a sea star in the upper right middle, and hooman beans top and bottom. Geology not so much (basalt), but I really like this photo. Dana told me later this was the first time she'd seen a starfish in it's native habitat (we saw a LOT of them). I was a little surprised at the time, but I've realized since she just hasn't spent that much time at rocky coastlines. Most of her coastal visits have been unconsolidated sediments.

Photo unmodified. September 21, 2010. FlashEarth Location.

3 comments:

Phil said...

A cast iron frypan with a lid, a little scallion, white wine, you are standing next to a feast!

Lockwood said...

I've never tried to cook mussels- I like clams okay, but not oysters, so I don't know whether I'd like them. And this being a park, I don't think harvesting is allowed. But it surely explains this photo.

Phil said...

If you like clams you will probably like mussels too.Esp. in white wine. I pay big bucks for those at Jakes restaurant in Portland and can eat two orders they are so yummy.
I just saw that other picture and yes it does make sense.