Sunday, February 3, 2013

Geo 365: Feb. 3, Day 34: Lava Gutter

A lava gutter, near the beginning of the interpretive trail to the east of Dee Wright Observatory. This is a paved pathway that takes the user into this terribly rugged landscape safely- I don't recall any steps; I'd go so far as to call it handicapped-accessible. There are some narrow spots though, and pre-trip scouting might be wise. Signage is well done and in a few cases, the art is quite charming. Finally, the diversity of features is much greater than I'd have expected. I walked this trail in 2001, before a lot of the signs went up, and while it was interesting, there's no doubt I didn't know much about what I was looking at. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I learned on the trip last fall.

Photo unmodified. October 9, 2012. FlashEarth Location- the rest of the trail is visible as a pair of loops on the right/east side of this view. I have a slew of other photos in this area, but this winds up McKenzie Pass week for now. We'll come back to it later.

No comments: