Friday, January 8, 2010

Space Food

I love those cans...
There's a fun and interesting article in Der Speigel on a German Chef who has been involved in creating new menu items for astronauts on the International Space Station. The above is from a short photo gallery accompanying the article. Though the article is not long, and doesn't go into a lot of detail, there were a couple of points that were new to me: space food needs to be low in salt, because salt accelerates bone loss. Also, (and I'd love to see an explanation for this) the sense of taste is dulled during space travel, so space food must be heavily seasoned. I doubt "Thanksgiving dinner" is served in the way it's illustrated, and honestly, I think I'd be thankful not to have to look at it.

But mostly, I just gotta love cans labeled "Space Food."

No comments: