Thursday, July 2, 2009

We Dohn' Need No Steenkin' Rocks

Au contraire, mon frere...
(click to enlargify) Interesting set of mineral statistics reduced to a fairly mind-blowing graphic: the total lifetime mineral consumption of an "average" person born in the US. I have some nits I could pick with the above picture (e.g. sometimes reporting as "ores," generally oxides, and sometimes as refined products), but however you cut it, the numbers are stunning. From this report (300 Kb PDF), found at the Minerals Information Institute. MII is apparently a group dedicated to disseminating educational materials on the topic of geologic resources, a mission I strongly support. (with some caveats that I won't fuss over too much)

1 comment:

Dean Wormer said...

Lockwood-

I thought you might appreciate this cartoon-

http://boxbrown.com/?p=611