Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Big Gay Ice Cream Truck

DGuzman, over at ...Other Dreams had an elegant, concise statement earlier this morning that sort of stopped me in my tracks.  I'm glad I went back and found it:
Gay marriage, as I've said before, isn't really my issue, but I abhor the idea of denying people the right to marry whomever they please. Discrimination is just wrong.
See, every time I start out to say something like that, I get all verbose and eloquent, and on and on, and here I go again.  But the point is that many people I know are gay.  While I don't discuss others' sexual habits, or my own, there are as many ways to express love as there are people, and no one is beyond reproach on that topic.  As I have gotten over some of my youthful discomfort with homosexuality, I have moved beyond caring whether a person is or isn't "flamboyantly" gay.  I have reached the point where I don't even know what I thought that meant.  I have also reached the point where I'm pretty supportive of an "in your face" approach to dealing with outrageous stereotyping, hate-mongering, and discrimination.  Case in point: I once told a complete stranger who was going on about "fags," "Look, I'm gay, and I find that pretty fucking offensive.  Would you like to continue?"  (It didn't hurt that I was twice the size of the guy.)

So when I see something like this, it warms the cockles of my heart (whatever that means):  The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck!Speaking of making good, 'mercan, god-fearin' conservatives' heads go all 'spoldey! (which I was, a couple of posts back).  There's liable to be quite a few disappointed republican kids this summer.  "Why can't I have some happy ice cream?"

Followup: I often go back over my posts, proofreading and musing.  If I find an irritating error, or a remark seems unclear, I don't hesitate to edit.  But I generally won't add anything of substance with a followup alert like this one.  Which is a long-winded way of getting to the point that I was contemplating the "no one is beyond reproach" comment above, and it occurred to me that the problem was that life doesn't come with an instruction manual.  Then it occured to me that with the advent of the net, I might be among the last humans to be able to say that.  Then it occured to me that much of the net's info has been around for years, decades, and centuries.  My final conclusion is this: "The problem isn't that life doesn't come with an instruction manual.  It does.  The problem is that there are too many of them, and they each disagree with all the others."

1 comment:

Dean Wormer said...

It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to not only care about what others do in the bedroom but have the time to do so. Isn't life overwhelming enough just on it's own before we have to stick our noses into other people's business? Does it really hurt you if others express their love differently?

The only thing I can think of that even begins to explain this attitude is that these guys are so overwhelmed by life, the universe and everything that they look for some sense of structure by judging others. There seem to be people who are afraid to find their own moral compass and allow others the same priviledge.

BTW: this is profoundly awesome- "The problem isn't that life doesn't come with an instruction manual. It does. The problem is that there are too many of them, and they each disagree with all the others."

Add to this- Sometimes not all the parts are included. ;-)