Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Excitement!

There's apparently some major excitement going on in my cozy little burg this morning... some guy is barracaded in an apartment building... just saw a swat vehicle drive by, maybe it's over... and a full swat team is outside. The incident is at 25th and Harrison, about 3 blocks north and 8 blocks west of my current coffee-rific location. Not clear whether there's a hostage involved... there goes a police car. News articles here, here and here. Our local rag, the Gazette-Times, is up to its usual standards with nuttin as of this post.

Funny how this webified world works... JD (who sent me the conflicker finder I just posted) sent me a chat message from his work in Salem, about 30 miles away. I got on Google and immediately found the three articles above. Just a few years ago, I wouldn't have heard of this until tomorrow.

Followup: Whatever happened, it's over: "At 10:33 a.m., Oregon State University use its emergency alert system to tell students they should avoid the area until further notice. They lifted the red alert at 12:18 p.m., when the man was taken into custody."

Followup 2, 4:20 PM: The GT finally has the story. At least one of the links in the above story no longer functions. No injuries, no damage. Sounds like mental illness and/or drug use, to several of us coffee drinkers.

No comments: