Monday, December 29, 2008

Oregon Coast Aquarium

I enjoy this place, but have never had a chance to photograph it. Actually, these photos were taken by my brother Jonathon and nephew Andrew. From our coast trip Dec. 20.
Crustacea. No scale, but the carapace on that back one is about 18 inches across. This was about where I started commenting that the staff would not like me to be stuck in here over night with a frying pan, a camp stove, and some butter.Cephalapoda. About 6 feet across.
Chrondrichthyes got my brother Jonathon.
Another two primates, Jonathon's sons, Nat (left) and Andrew. From a viewing window inside the fish tank.
Cnidaria- sea nettle. This has long been one of my favorite displays at this aquarium. They are just beautiful, though I gather they can be very painful, even fatal. That's irrelevant when they're on the other side of a thick pane of glass.
Your turn... Do you recognize this critter? I don't think I would have without the label, but I'm not sure. It's the first time I've ever seen a living speciman. Another hint in the comments. Imaginary gold star, and actual admiration, for the first commenter to get it right.

3 comments:

Lockwood said...

Hint 1: The animal in the final picture is probably better known to geologists than to most biologists, but I suspect many geologists don't realize it is an extant organism. I suspect many biologists have either never heard of it, or have forgotten hearing about it.

Hint 2: Count the arms.

Callan Bentley said...

Hey Lockwood,

It's a crinoid, isn't it?

C

Lockwood said...

Yes! As I say, I'm not sure I would have recognized it- I noticed the label before I saw the animal, which in one sense kind of spoiled the fun, but I was pretty excited to actually see a living speciman. I think I've seen photos, but there is a thrill to see the real thing. Good call, Callan!