Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Irony Alert

A meeting of global warming deniers has been postponed due to the havoc wrought by tropical storm Fay. Another link to the same story.

I haven't seen enough information to be totally convinced of the global warming/stronger tropical storm connection (note that generally it is not claimed that warming will increase the number of tropical storms, just their intensity), but from what I do know, it is a logical and plausible connection. Not that Fay has turned out to be a particularly intense storm.

A couple of things about the picture- I looked around for a picture of an iron, and got tired of sites wanting me to pay $15 and up to use a few thousand pixels. What a freaking racket. This was lifted from an advertisement here. (If anyone has a problem with anything I post or use here, let me know. I'm polite and generally inclined to be cooperative) Which actually, when I read the plug, turned out to be pretty interesting. It's a butane-powered iron; you light it with a match. Meaning you don't need electricity. Great for tidying up when the power goes out, or when you're camping- if you thought to bring an ironing board with you.

Also, the base plate is made of aluminum, so technically this is an aluminum, not an iron. But the title "Aluminumy Alert" didn't strike me as real catchy.

No comments: