Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Holy Cow...

...I just went through my notes and stuff. I have been awful busy reading this week. Lotsa stuff. Lots and lots. Let's get on with it.

This video took me a minute or two to figure out, then when I thought I knew where it was going, it ended up going somewhere else. Quite charming, unless as a human you don't like the ending (literally and figuratively).

As a geology person, one learns, in a symbolic way at least, to contemplate the world from completely different time scales. Mostly longer and slower, but sometimes, as with volcanic explosions, meteorites and other fast, energetic events, you need to be able to consider the world on time scales shorter and faster than human experience can really register. It's a joy of the discipline, to look for consistency across scales of time and space, that most people never have the opportunity to perceive- to their great loss. But despite all that, I never really considered what the world would look like to the rock itself, if it could see and think like I do.
(This is about 8 1/2 minutes long, but it's very much worth it.)

No comments: