Saturday, July 12, 2008

Experiment IV

Many of my favorite bloggers post YouTube music videos they like. I don't watch them all, but often I do, and often enough, I really enjoy them. Here's one example from Becky's blog, "A Girl in Short Shorts." (about a third of the way down the post) This is a group called Rasputina doing Heart's rock-n-roll classic, "Barracuda..." on cellos. Sometimes the singer's voice seems a little off to me, other times she seems to transcend the original, but this is definitely a fascinating sound.

I'll just go ahead and blogroll her now: Becky is very much the libertarian, so there is plenty in her philosophy and approach to ideal governance that I disagree with. But she is clearly knowledgeable, eminently reasonable, and and as a result, makes generally persuasive arguments. In particular, her analysis of economic issues is shrewd and informed, and provides a perspective that I don't find elsewhere. As in the example above, she has turned me on to many female musical artists that I otherwise wouldn't have come across (and I love female musicians, particularly their voices). I very much admire Becky's strength and ability to choose her own way, and to explain and defend those choices to someone who is different from her in many ways. It is important to me to try to understand what and how other people are thinking; Becky is an outstanding example of someone who makes me feel like I understand humanity just a little bit better.

But the whole point is, I've really enjoyed other people's music video posts, so I'll try to put up a few of my own from time to time. Kate Bush has long been on my list of favorites. I find that many of the college age folks I know from around here don't know her work at all, but really like it when I lend them a CD. Experiment IV is from her first hits album, "The Whole Story." I appreciate it when a musician adds a new piece to a hits album; on the other hand, if I already have most of their stuff, it's irritating to have to get a whole new album just for a song or two. If you're a fan of the TV series "House," you may recognize a young Hugh Laurie as one of the techs in the video. Lyrics here.

No comments: