Friday, May 28, 2010

"I Am Hopeful"

I'm glad I chose that word, rather than "optimistic," because I wasn't really optimistic. But I was, and remain, hopeful, despite this news:
If the efforts succeeded, officials intended to pump cement into the well to seal it. But the company suspended pumping operations at 2:30 a.m. Friday after two junk shot attempts, said the technician, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the efforts.

The suspension of the effort was not announced, and appeared to again contradict statements by company and government officials that suggested the top kill procedure was progressing Friday.
So BP told the Coast Guard that the oil flow had been contained, while knowing they had suspended operations hours earlier? I hope we castrate every BP executive, and lock them away for life. I hope we confiscate every penny of BP profit for the next decade. I hope people can learn to metabolize tar balls. But I have precious little hope left for the Gulf, and the people who live nearby.

No comments: